New to Chicago?

NewChicago Ripley sitting beach.pmChicago is definitely a dog-friendly city – full of parks and beaches specifically designated for your four legged friend. Fortunately, great weather is right around the corner so we can finally take our pets outside to enjoy it! Whether you’re taking your pup to a local dog beach or just out for a leisurely stroll in the neighborhood, be aware that certain restrictions apply.

Dog Registration: Why do it?

Obtaining a city license for your pet is not only a prerequisite for obtaining a Dog Friendly Area permit – needed for both dog parks and beaches – but it is also required if you’re walking your petanywhere in the city.

Registering your dog is very important for many reasons:

  • It is the law! – Once a pet is four months and older it is required that they be registered with the City of Chicago
  • Lost pet? No problem! – Registering your pet can aid in locating your pooch if the unspeakable happens. The registration number, sent to you in the form of a sticker that goes on the back of the rabies tag, is linked to all of your information.
  • Daycare and Boarding  –  Registration is required.

How do I get one?

Obtaining a city license is as easy as 1-2-3! You can register online via

What you will need:

  • A Cook County Rabies Tag – If you don’t have a Cook County issued rabies tag don’t fret! Mail a letter requesting a replacement tag, a copy of a the signed rabies certificate, a copy of your photo ID, and a check made out to Cook County Animal & Rabies Control ($6.00 for a one year vaccination and $18.00 for a 3 year vaccination) to:

Cook County Animal & Rabies Control

10220 South 76th Ave.

Bridgeview, IL 60455

Dog Friendly Area Permits

NewChicago Ripley standing beach.pmIf your pet is a social butterfly and walks around the neighborhood just aren’t cutting it – have no fear- Chicago Park District is here!

Dog Friendly Area (DFA) permits allow your dog to socialize at dog parks and beaches.  Once you’ve registered your pet with the city of Chicago, acquiring a DFA is simple!  Most, if not all, of this information is on record at your veterinarian’s office and at Blum Animal Hospital, we’ll take care of filling everything out for you.

What you will need:

  • City license number
  • Cook County Rabies Tag number
  • Proof your pet is current with his or her vaccinations – Distemper/Hepatitis/Parvovirus (commonly referred to as DHP), Parainfluenza, Bordetella, & Leptospirosis
  • Proof of a negative stool sample

The permit and tag are good for a single season. A single season is defined as the period running from January 1st of any year through December 31st of the same year.  Don’t forget, all vaccinations must be current for this length of time.

Not sure where dog friendly areas are? We’ve got you covered- click on this link to find the closest area to you:

For only $5.00 you and your pet’s wildest dreams will come true! Stop by Blum Animal Hospital and pick up a DFA today!

Ripley says “Dog Approved!”

NewChicago Ripley

Written by Laura Cook for Blum Animal Hospital