With spring finally starting to arrive, more and more owners are taking their pups to the dog parks. We wanted to highlight 5 dog parks around the Blum neighborhood you may not be familiar with!
- Wiggly Field – Located at the west end of Reed-Keppler park, Wiggly Field is open to dogs of all sizes from sunrise to sunset. This fenced in dog park is open 7-days a week and has an asphalt entrance and offers dog agility equipment.
- Southpaw Dog Park – For dogs 20 lbs. and under who may feel safer among dogs their own size, Southpaw Dog Park is located just south of Wiggly Field.
- Challenger Dog Friendly Area – Right down the street from the Sheridan Red Line stop, Challenger Dog Friendly area is located at 1100 W. Irving Park. This dog park is located within the Challenger Playlot Park, which is open from 6 am to 11 pm.
- Montrose Dog Beach – In 2003, the Montrose Dog Beach became the first off-leash beach for dogs in Chicago. If your furry family member takes a dip in the lake, there is a dog wash available for you to shampoo and rinse them off before taking them home! The Montrose Dog Beach is located at 601 W. Montrose and is typically open from sunrise to around 9 pm.
- Puptown – Located in Uptown at Margate Park, Puptown offers over 16,000 square feet of play space for dogs to run around off-leash. Since Puptown is maintained by the Puptown Dog Owners Group, they host several events throughout the year to raise money to support it. Their largest event is the Howl-O-Ween canine costume contest, but they also host in-park movie nights!
- Prairie Wolf Dog Park – If you are willing to take a little bit of a drive, Prairie Wolf is an amazing 44-acre fully fenced in dog park located in the Lake County Forest Preserves. Your pup can swim in a pond and run freely in the fields and explore on the trails. Daily permits can be purchased online here.
For more information on how to make sure your pup has fun and stays safe at the dog park, read our blog for tips!
Written for Blum Animal Hospital by Jackie Sheppard.