Don’t Pick These Poisons!

Each year the ASPCA’s Poison Control Center receives over 150,000 calls from owners concerned their pet has ingested something toxic.

While most dog owners know that chocolate and grapes are harmful to their pups, and many cat owners know lilies are highly toxic to their felines, there are many household items that owners may not think about that are poisonous. Here are some of the most common household poisons that may be present in different rooms of your house!

KITCHEN

  • Chocolate
  • Xylitol – used as a sweetener in products such as gum and candy
  • Grapes/Raisins
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Yeast Dough
  • Macadamia Nuts

MEDICINE CABINET

  • Acetaminophen – used in Tylenol and other pain relievers
  • Decongestants – such as Sudafed
  • NSAID’s for humans – i.e. Advil, Aspirin and Ibuprofen
  • Breath Fresheners – especially if they contain Xylitol
  • Pepto Bismol
  • Mosquito Repellent – do not use any products containing DEET on your pets

PANTRY/GARAGE

  • Bleach
  • Dishwasher Detergent
  • Rodent Traps
  • Essential Oils
  • Antifreeze
  • Household Cleaners

For more information on food, products or plants that may be harmful to your furry family member, click here to learn more.

Written for Blum Animal Hospital by Jackie Sheppard.