Independence Day is right around the corner and while you and your family are having fun, your pet might be feeling a little uncomfortable. Noise anxiety can arise from many different factors, including past experiences involving with thunderstorms, a genetic predisposition, age or hearing loss. No matter the cause, it’s important to relieve your pet’s stress. Below are a couple tips and products that can help you do just that!
Noise Anxiety Safety Tips:
- Supply a comfortable area for your pet, specifically a “den”; an innermost portion of your condo like a bathroom where they can feel safe and secure.
- Introduce new toys or treats during a storm or when fireworks are active. At Blum Animal Hospital, we have a variety of toys and treats that can cause distractions, including the Kong (a rubber, durable dog chew that acts as a treat dispenser) and CET poultry and fish chews for felines.
- Walk your pet while it’s still light outside. This decreases the likelihood of fireworks being set off and causing anxiety.
- Do not scold your pet – instead, find ways to reinforce positive behavior.
- Check all your windows, doors, and dog/cat flaps. Make sure they are secure to reduce the probability of your pet escaping.
- Try not to leave your pet alone when the fireworks are going off. Below are the best supplements and products to help with coping with noise anxiety:
ThunderShirt Overview – ThunderShirt’s patented design provides a gentle, constant pressure that has a significant calming effect on 80% of dogs.
How it works – According to ThunderShirt, the constant pressure calms the nervous system by releasing calming hormones like endorphins.
Sizes sold at Blum – XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL.
How it works – Adaptil is a synthetic copy of the natural comforting hormone released by a mother dog to console her puppies. Feliway is a synthetic copy of the natural feline facial pheromone that cats use to mark their territory as “safe.” This helps reduce anxiety by creating a secure environment for your furry friend.
Types sold at Blum – Adaptil: spray and diffuser, Feliway: spray and diffuser.
Gentle LeaderOverview – A collar that not only reduces pulling on the leash but also eliminates the need for a muzzle.
How it works – When your dog pulls, the Gentle Leader moves your pet’s head and body towards you. This redirects his/her attention back on you and away from the distraction. The collar also sits high on your pet’s neck, a comfortable fit that does not put pressure on the throat. The nose loop eliminates the need for a muzzle by mildly moving your pet’s head when they pull, but still allowing he or she to bark and pant. WOOF!
Have a safe holiday & give a care coordinator a call if you have any questions!
WALTER SAYS DOG APPROVED!
Written by Laura Cook for Blum Animal Hospital